GREGORY B LEE
Go to CV
- Professor of Chinese and Transcultural Studies, University of Lyon (Jean Moulin)
- President, Institut Confucius de Lyon (Lyon Confucius Institute)
- FHKAH: Fellow of the Hong Kong Academy of the Humanities
- Research Fellow, University of Peking, Institute for Cross-cultural Studies
- Chevalier dans l'Ordre des Palmes Académiques
- Founding Director, Institut d'Etudes Transtextuelles et Tranculturelles (IETT) Equipe d'accueil (EA4186)
- Editor of the trilingual periodical Transtext(e)s-Transcultures 跨文本跨文化
- Recipient of the Prime d'Excellence Scientifique (2012- )
Gregory Lee spent 2010-2012 at the City University of Hong Kong where he was Chair Professor of Chinese and Transcultural Studies and Dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences. He established the Hong Kong Advanced Institute for Cross-Disciplinary Studies in January 2011, and served as its and was the first Director. Lee was formerly First Vice-President of Jean Moulin University-Lyon 3 and Director its Research Service. He was also the founding director of research team Institute of Transtextual and Transcultural Studies (IETT- Institut d’Etudes Transtextuelles et Transculturelles), University of Lyons (Jean Moulin).
Career history: Taught at Cambridge (1983-84), London (1987-88), Chicago (1990-94), and Hong Kong (1994-98). Graduate of SOAS, University of London (1975-79, 1981-85) and Peking University (1979-1981; 1982-83). British Academy fellowship postdoctoral researcher at Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, Beijing (1985). Chicago Humanities Institute Fellow ( 1993).
Literature and culture, cultural and intellectual history, Chineseness, the postcolonial, 'minor' and marginal cultures, popular culture, critical theory, diasporic memory, the cosmopolitan.